Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Expecting


Don't worry we're not expecting again.... yet...but I thought it might be fun to share the story of how Adam and I found out we were expecting.

(Warning may be too much information for some:)

Adam and I had planned to wait awhile after we got married to have children. Neither of us wanted a child while Adam was in school (we knew lots of people do it but we knew it wouldn't be good timing for us). We also wanted to take a few years after we got married to just enjoy each other and work on our marriage. In hindsight I'm so glad we did this. I completely took for granted the freedom you have before you have children. Being able to just take off for a weekend or go out to eat or for a movie without a moments notice is definitely a luxury you don't have once babies come along!

The BCP has always had terrible side effects on me (read: constant nausea 24 hours a day... no matter how many different brands I tried) so, once we got married Adam and I decided that we would go for an alternate route for our "child planning". Things were going smoothly in that area and in February Adam and I had started discussing when we might look to have children. After much discussion (and a few tears shed on my part) we agreed that we would wait until the following Fall to start our family. I have to be honest with you - that decision was really hard for me. If I had things my way we would have started trying much sooner, but I knew that Adam didn't feel ready yet and after a lot of prayer on my part I also felt at peace with our decision.

Adam was away for 10 days in February visiting a good friend in California. It was exactly during the times where I was most likely to get pregnant, so we didn't think we needed to be overly cautious that month (sorry I know this is to much information for some people:). March came, however, and I still hadn't started my period, but I didn't really think anything of it... my cycles have always been a little all over the place so I just attributed it to that. After a week passed, however, I mentioned to Adam that it was a little weird that was this late. He told me to go to the drug store and pick up a pregnancy test, so out I went.

Honestly, thinking that there was no possible way that I could be pregnant this month... after all Adam had been away during that time, I got home and put the test in the bathroom and went about my day. 3 hours later Adam came back home and gave me a look and said "well... did you take the test?". I told him I didn't, after all chances were I wan't pregnant. I have no idea why I was so convinced I wasn't pregnant... I mean you are looking at a girl who probably had taken 10 pregnancy tests in the last year just because she was ONE day late for her period, let alone a week. But, I just knew I wasn't pregnant for some reason. Fortunately for me Adam wasn't as convinced with my reasoning as I was. He handed me the test and told me to go take it. So I went in the bathroom peed on a stick and waited to see that horizontal line light up revealing that indeed I was not pregnant.

As I sat there waiting all of the sudden another line started to appear... a vertical one crossing over the horizontal one. I started shaking... no, this can't be right...there's no way....


I was so nervous coming out of that room. Adam and I had JUST had a conversation where he had shared with me that he was just not ready to be a Dad yet. I had wanted announcing my pregnancy to be a joy filled event, and what if he was upset, or even angry? Well Adam's reaction was the exact opposite of what I was expecting. "That's great! I'm so excited! I'm so glad it just happened and its not something that we had to plan out". Within minutes he was on the phone calling our parents, sharing the news with them.

Oddly enough, even though it wasn't what we had planned Jacob ended up coming at the perfect time for our lives. It's amazing how throwing your plans out of whack can sometimes be the best thing to ever happen to you!

So what about you all? What are your stories? We're your children planned or surprises? Did you go all out telling your Husbands or just walk out of a bathroom like me? I'd love to hear your stories!

1 comment:

  1. I think babywise called it "the 45 minute intruder". Aidan does the same thing. For about a week I've been stretching his wake time just a bit (2 1/2 hours instead of 2) and I find that makes his afternoon nap longer, it's been at least 1 1/2 hours, usually 2 1/2 for the whole week, no 45 min naps. It may not work for all babies, but you could try it. At least he's sleeping all night!

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete