Friday, April 23, 2010

It's about that time...



In 2 weeks Jacob will be 6 months old, which I can hardly believe! I feel like I'm always caught in this tension of wanting him to stay a baby forever and wanting to see him grow and learn new things. Things change so quickly with babies, for instance: 2 weeks ago Jacob could barley sit up unless he was slouched over, now he can sit straight up and play with his toys for a few minutes at a time before he falls over... how do their little muscles grow so fast?

If you've been reading my blog for awhile you may remember that I was debating starting Jacob on solids a little early since he was starting to wake up again in the night to feed. I told myself at the time that I would give him one week before I made any changes. By the end of that week he was pretty much back to sleeping for 12 hours straight at night again, so I decided to wait until 6 months to start solids. An added bonus to waiting being that we didn't have to buy any "feeding gear" until we moved back to Halifax.

Now that we are quickly approaching the 6 month mark I've been starting to do my research on "feeding gear". So, since I love to hear about things from people who have/are using them I was wondering if I could get some input on some highchairs! You all have had such great advice in the past I thought I would utilize it again!!

So here's the dilemma: I am torn between getting a full sized high chair :


Or a booster seat like this:

OR THIS:


Right now I'm leaning towards a booster seat, only because it takes up so much less room and you can take it with you to people's houses when it overlaps with dinner time. But I've never had a kid before, and it seams like most people who have kids go for the full sized highchair. I'm not really picky about how it looks, I just want something comfortable and functional!

What are your thoughts - is it worth the extra money to get a full sized highchair?

I'd love to hear from you all!

Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. I had both for Ally but found I only really used the booster seat. It's a much better investment as it can travel with you and is a real space saver plus I found Ally was more engaged when she was actually sitting at the table with us instead isolated in a high chair. Booster all the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a high chair (which I do love), but think a booster seat would work better for us. We're out at least 5 nights a week, and to be able to carry the booster with us would be sooo convenient. It does help that most of our friends have kids so there's always a chair to put him in. However, the times we don't have one, Elijah creates a HUGE mess all over me and him while I try to feed him. Haha...the joys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the past few years I've gone through a couple of high chairs and I have one booster. I'm not a picky consumer; rather one who looks for a good deal. All of ours were purchased second hand. I always have at least two high chairs + a booster due to always having friends over with kiddies.

    What I have liked is something with a five point harness whether it be a booster or high chair. Otherwise, Micah (second child) would get his way out of the belt and stand up. He's very busy and I like him to be belted down.

    Pros of high chair for me:
    -you can wheel it easily to where you want it
    -tray is typically bigger. I have used my highchair for kids to do crafts in as well as eat.
    -mine folds up easily and I have actually taken it to friends' houses no problem
    -if I need the extra seating space at the table, the high chair does not take up a spot. We often have other families over with several kids as well and our table seats six. This way Micah isn't taking up one of those spots.
    -my highchair reclines a bit which I found nice when I first started feeding solids. Perhaps that booster above does too.

    Advantages of booster:
    -takes up less space
    -kids like being right at the table
    -easy to take places

    Just had to comment. This is an item you will use SO MUCH!

    Also, another though. Depending on how close you want your kids you may have two on the go at the same time. I wouldn't want to have two highchairs in my kitchen. So, you'll probably have a highchair and a booster or 2 boosters.

    Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of having both. We have a graco high chair that we use at home for Makayla, it's really great. It reclines a bit and has a huge tray with an extra top that goes in the diswasher for easy clean up. Plus the seat has an insert for smaller kids and a 5 point harness. It also came with a booster seat that the tray attaches to for travel and the highchair seat can attach to that as well for smaller kids which also leave a seat that can be used at the table or an island for older kids. I love that it gives us an adjustable height so if we want her to be at the table with us, she can be, with out having the table up to her head level. We also were given the fisher price travel booster seat that you have pictured above. It is great for restaurants and taking to friends houses.It works great ones the kids are sitting up on their own and it is also dishwasher safe! I love that it comes with a cover so it stays clean before you use it but if you're out it holds the mess in until you get home. I agree with others above that it is nice to have several available when friends comeover and it is nice not to have to alway wash down the restaurant highchairs everywhere (makayla licks everything!) So it really up to what you think you will use and how you want to use it. I do think the high chair works best for messy eaters which M hasn't gotten to...yet, but it is way easier to clean up spills on that then on my chairs:)

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a high chair, but only because I felt nervous strapping a booster to a chair. My fears are unfounded, but a high chair just seemed safer. I never thought about getting both, but probably a good idea if you have friends with kids. I also don't like the idea of cleaning food off of my wooden chairs and table. I know you'll make a smart choice, but one thing I definitely agree with is waiting as long as possible to start solids! I felt pressured to start a little early (I finally started around 5 months) and it is such a hassle. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Girls! Now I have lots to think about:) Chelsea - did you say your highchair is also a booster seat? Which on is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Suzanne...
    We went with a booster, mostly because I have an aversion to massive plastic sprawley things taking over my living space! LOL I wanted something that would blend with our furniture and grow with Lincoln.
    We got this: http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/eddie-bauer-2-level-wood-booster-seat-reviews#L2ltYWdlLmRveD9SPTY5NTc0OSZ3aWRlPWZhbHNl and it has been GREAT. We have even set it up in the back of our station wagon and picnicked! And if we ever end up at a restaurant with no highchair, or someone's house, etc., no problem. And it's wooden and looks pretty decent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, we have the graco 4 in 1 high chair. Its great! I comes with two bases, the normal high chair base and the booster base. the booster base can be used separately from the rest of the highchair , so if there is an older child you have them in the booster and the little one in the high chair.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete